Is there any felicity on earth that compares to reading a great book on a quiet beach? No. There is not.
I’m linking up to the Top Ten Tuesday meme over at thebrokeandthebookish.com to share my five favorite beach reads from the past and the five books I’ll be reading this summer. What’s even better is I’m also including the five books you must read with your kids at the beach! Fifteen for the price of ten! Hang on to your sunhats.
Favorite Past Beach Reads
- The Pilot’s Wife – Shreve is like Piccoult: she may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but read at least one of her books. Her writing is beautiful.
- Jacob Have I Loved – YA that you’ll never leave behind
- The Light Between Oceans – I think this will be considered a classic in fifty years. (more about this book here!)
- What Alice Forgot – Light hearted, yet thought provoking.
- Orphan Train – A great piece of historical fiction!
Bonus: If you have not read these, these two off my Favorite Books List are best by the beach!
What I plan to read this summer:
(though probably not on the beach—I have three kids 7 and under…reading on the beach is a thing of the past and the future, but not the present).
- The Forgotten Room – Karen White is best read by the ocean! I especially loved Long Time Gone.
- Everyone Brave is Forgiven – The book of the year, apparently! It’s often compared to All the Light We Cannot See.
- At the Edge of Summer – A new book by the author of Letters from Skye.
- Birds of a Feather – I read the first Maise Dobbs book a while ago, and it’s high time I moved on with this fabulous series.
- Deerbrook – An old book I’ve never heard of til recently! It’s compared to works by Gaskell and the Brontes, so sign me up! Also, it’s available for free on Project Gutenberg.
Great beach reads for you and your kids!
- The Maggie B. – I am in love with this book.
- Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat – Great for little boys!
- Amy’s Eyes – I read this chapter book in an old beach house when I was 10 or so and thought it was awesome.
- The Nickelplated Beauty – Such a good book about a family who lives near the sea, their rusty stove, and their love for their mama.
- The Golden Venture – Out of print, but an absolute treasure. I checked it out repeatedly in the library as a kid. It’s about a girl who stows away to follow her dad to the California Gold Rush and ends up living in San Francisco.
I think I could go on forever! Beach reading is absolutely the best. I’m looking forward to a great summer of books and beaches. Share your favorite beach reads for you or for children!
[Side note: My brain is already on vacation. Seriously, it thinks it’s lounging on a beach chair sipping lemonade in a tropical oasis. The only problem with this is, it’s totally not true. We are not done with school yet (two more days), we are still in the middle of a million house projects, and life is very busy. I am trying my hardest to focus and get motivated to get stuff done, but my brain is saying, “Sorry. I’m done. DONE.” And my body is not far behind it. I’m tired, and it’s a weird tired. An “I’ve been sitting by the pool for three hours and can’t will myself to move” kind of tired. Except I have most certainly not been sitting by the pool. I’ve been staring at unfolded laundry and stirring macaroni and cheese. Hence the quiet on the blog. I can’t think an original thought, even though I’m off Facebook, so hang tight…something will come to me eventually. But maybe not til the rest of me joins my brain at the beach.]